What is Women’s Health Physiotherapy?
Women’s health is a specialised field of physiotherapy which focuses on the diagnosis, treatment and management of pain and disorders relating to the pelvic organs & pelvic floor; primarily conditions classified as either gynaecological or obstetric (pregnancy-related).
Similar to other alternative areas of physiotherapy, Women’s Health Physiotherapy also aims to restore a patient to previous levels of physical function with the understanding the complexity of the female anatomy and its function and the specific changes that can occur during and following pregnancy.
What common conditions are treated?
- Pelvic floor muscle dysfunction
- Incontinence and leakage
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pregnancy-related pain
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Diastasis recti-abdominus muscle (abdominal muscle separation)
- Post natal recovery & rehabilitation
What can I expect during a women’s health appointment?
At move clinics we tailor our assessment and treatment process to each individual client. Assessment will involve taking a comprehensive history and a detailed external examination involving the surrounding areas ie. abdominal muscles, pelvis & lumbar spine, to assist in developing an initial diagnosis & prognostic overview. We understand that some conditions may be sensitive or difficult to discuss, as such we ensure the utmost privacy throughout this process.
If appropriate your Physiotherapist may suggest an internal examination of the pelvic floor muscles to identify any dysfunction that may be causing or contributing to your symptoms. During this assessment the pelvic floor muscles and connective tissues are examined for the contractile muscle strength, tone & endurance, muscle contraction patterns and areas of sensitivity, to identify signs of pelvic organ prolapse as well as muscle imbalances of the pelvic floor muscles.
This assessment is then used as the foundation for any physiotherapy treatment, the results will be discussed with you in detail and a subsequent treatment plan and strength program will be formulated to your specific requirements.
What types of treatment do you offer?
- Pregnancy-related Physiotherapy (ie. muscle & joint release techniques, taping) Education & advice on ergonomics & assistive devices pre/post natal
- Pelvic Floor muscle strengthening exercises
- Safe pregnancy-specific strengthening programs
- Advice on Biofeedback and muscle stimulation for pelvic floor muscle retraining
- Pre & Post natal Clinical Pilates (home-based & in-clinic reformer)
- Post natal rehabilitation & return to exercise
- Advice & referral for further assistive devices or treatment (i.e. pessary fitting, biofeedback machines etc)